Antifreeze

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Antifreeze
From: Mathys <mathysj@kenyon.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 09:33:16 -0700
MG'ers

  I have silently read the discussion about the "Great Anti-freeze
Question of 1996".  Here is what I tell my the students in my chemistry
course:

  " If you take a pure liquid (water, for example)and add dilute it with
another liquid (antifreeze, for example)the physical properties of the
new solution (a mixture of two liquids or a mixture of a liquid and a
solid)will be as such:

 (1) the freezing point of the new solution will be depressed (lowered),
 so the stuff in your radiator freezes at a lower temperature (below 32
F).

 (2) the boiling point of the new soltion will be elevated (increased),
so the stuff in your radiator will boil at a higher temperature (above
212 F).

  There is no particular reason why distilled water should be harmful to
the inside of the radiator.  The problem with rust in the radiator is
that it is made out of iron (the chemically most stable form of iron is
rust).

  My problem is that I am a chemist and not a mechanic, yet . . .but I am
workin' on it (these cars demand it).

   FWIW - British Victoria sells wiper blades for $9.00 a pop (the Midget
has 3 blades).  $27 is ridiculous for a new set of wiper blades (each of
which is only 9").  I bought a set of 20" replacement blades at the local
department store ($3 at K-Mart) and cut the two 20" blades down to
provide four 9" blades.  I crimped the ends that were just cut and they
fit perfectly (I reinvest the $24 into something which I can't McGyver
together).  Just my $0.02 worth.

  Jeff Mathys
  Assistant Prof. of Chemistry
  Kenyon College