Laguna Seca Tour ( Long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Laguna Seca Tour ( Long)
From: Jack Baker <baker@mail.islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:25:42 -0700
LAGUNA SECA TOUR:

     After ten months in the planning, it was finally time to board the 1030
AM Port
Angeles Ferry and start our trek to the Historic Races at Laguna Seca
Raceway. Included
in our group were five MGB's, two MGA's, one MGTD, a TR8, and a Mazda Protege.
After clearing Customs in Port Angeles, we headed south on Highway 101
following the
Hood Canal until we reached Shelton. Here we headed west via highways 108,
8, 107, and
then 101, which took us to the KOA campground just west of Astoria Oregon.
The first
day was top down all of the way, sunny and warm, 230 miles completed, and
without any
difficulties.

     Day two saw the tourers on the road at 0800 for a fabulous trip down
the Oregon
coast. We made several stops along the way, (Cannon Beach, Lincoln City,
Depoe Bay,
Newport Beach, the sand dunes at Florence etc.) and at the end of the day we
stopped at
the KOA campground just north of Port Orford Oregon. After setting up camp and
enjoying a shower, we all headed to the Port & Starboard Restaurant for a
fine dinner.
This day was also top down, sunny and warm, 292 miles completed, and no
problems.

    At 0800 on day three, it was cooler, and also quite foggy for the first
part of our
journey along the southern portion of the Oregon coast. Once we were south
of Eureka
California, we headed inland towards the Avenue of the Giants, (Redwood
Trees) where
we stopped for a picnic lunch. We very much enjoyed the trip through the
Redwoods, and
as we continued south we noticed three things were going up: the elevation, the
temperature, and the temperature gauges on some of our cars. Late in the
afternoon, after
another great day of sightseeing, and with sweat on our brows, we arrived at our
campground at Willits, California. Most cooked their meal, took in the ice
cream social,
had a shower and hit the pillow fairly early. Another top down day, high
temp for the day
was 105, we travelled 310 miles, and some of us had some cooling problems.
Lucas fuses,
and MGA grilles.

     Day four was the last day that we travelled south as a group. We
enjoyed a nice sunny
warm trip through the Wine country, but as we got closer to San Francisco
and the
Golden Gate bridge, we started to see fog again. The temperature came down
and the
traffic flow went up. We enjoyed a nice stop at the bridge lookout and then
Jack led us up
a side road to a magnificent view looking over the fog to the city of San
Francisco.
Following a picnic lunch it was time to travel through the city and head to
Salinas.
Highway 101 takes you right through the Lombard and Filmore districts and
downtown
San Francisco, and then opens up to a multiple lane freeway as you head
towards San
Jose. The speed and temperature went up, and we started to encounter more
problems
with our LBC's. (little British cars). We had battery problems, an
intermittent fuel pump,
leaking S U's, a toublesome Lucas fuse, and finally a cracked head along
this stretch. Most
of us made it to the Motel in Salinas without too much delay and fanfare,
but Len &
Bonnie's MGA came the last 30 miles on a tow truck's hook. Cars were emptied and
cleaned, spare parts were ordered, Len & Bonnie got a rental car and we set
in to enjoy
the weekend.

     On Friday about one half of the group went sight seeing in the Monterey
area, and the
other half took in the Concours Italiano. The Concours was held at an
exclusive Golf &
Country Club with the cars parked on the greens. The general parking areas
were also on
the course, and were a car show as well. This is a must see event if you
like exotic cars.
We spent considerable time at the displays outside of the concours area,
(this portion is
free) and the rest of the day enjoying and learning about the Italian
Marques that were
displayed. There were 123 Ferrari's on display as well as many
Lamborghini's, Fiats, Alfa
Romeo's, De Tomaso's, and a special display of cars which were designed by
Bertone of
Italy. Included in that display was an MG Arnolt. The icing on the cake for
that day was
the trip to and from the event, which took us over the Lorrelles Grade,
which is an
incredible road on which to enjoy your Sports Car.

     Saturday AM, we all headed to the track, and were treated to an
unbelievable day of
Vintage Racing, and access to view hundreds of beautifully prepared racing
cars. The
Laguna Seca Track is a first class facility, and is staffed by many
volunteers. Spectators
have access to view the entire layout, and the grandstands are located in
areas which
provide a view of large portions of the track. The pit area is open to the
public for this
venue, and much time was spent enjoying the cars and talking to the drivers
and pit crews.
The BMW display, (the featured marque) was fantastic, both on the race track
and under
huge tents, complete with some of the famous drivers from the era. Located
on an island
in the centre of the track, were the regalia booths, and I am sure that our
group left a few
dollars in this area. To end the day we all headed in to Monterey, and
Cannery Row,
where we had dinner reservations. Jack picked the spot, and Wayne organized
the choice
of menu, and a great time and dinner was enjoyed by all.

     Sunday AM, the Sparkes & Braybrooks said their goodbyes and headed for
the next
leg of their vacation, while the rest of the group went back to the track
for another great
day of Motorsport, and to buy that last bit of regalia that they couldn't do
without. Stirling
Moss, Nelson Piquet, and Brian Redman put on quite a show in their
respective races, and
some of our group came home with their autographs. To end the day, the group
went to
dinner at the Penny Farthing Inn in Salinas. This is a British style
Pub/Restaurant, owned
and run by a staff from the U.K., which offered good food and just the right
atmosphere.
By now we were starting to hear the comment, "Maybe we should come back next
year".

     Monday morning for me, was a bit of a down time, as the tour as a group
was now
over and we would all be saying our good byes. It was necessary for Len &
Bonnie to stay
on an extra day at the Motel, as they still had to locate a new cylinder
head for the "A".
They had contacted a company in Salinas that could provide them with the
parts required
and they assured us that they were in good hands. So we all packed up our
LBC's and
headed out our different ways for the return trip home.

     In summary, everything went very well. We lucked out on the weather for
the whole
trip. The camping was fun, the motel was OK, especially the price, Denny's
next door, and
the accessibility to the track. The racing and the cars were great, but as
is usual with the
Victoria MG Club, it was the people that made this the great event that it
was!!!

     Yes we are talking about a return trip next year, and the feature
Marque is Porsche.

 Jim Mills
Victoria MG Club, Wagon Master
Jack Baker