Re: TD for sale

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: TD for sale
From: bleckstein@monmouth.com
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:40:11 -0400 (EDT)
I'll try again. The car is located in Monmouth County New Jersey.

The Good.   The car is really straight , and looks like it really does have
30000 orig miles. The frame is clean looking with a few surface marks caused by
humidity. I doubt if the car has ever been out in the rain, and I mean ever.
The car was repainted in Imeron in a bright yellow ( sunrise?) The color
actually looks good although its much more yellow then the original cream
yellow.

The chrome is very presentable but not new. I like the patina that undented but
older chrome has. This is not a show car.

The top was down but what I can see it looks very good. I didn't see the side
curtains but was assured they were perfect.

All the instruments worked except water temp, and the gages were correct. The
steering wheel was original(thats rare) and in good shape. the cracking and
shrinkage was minimal.  Overall the appearance was very good.

The bad: The interior was redone by a furnature shop in a marble like reddish
brown. The door pieces and side pieces are original red that are now similar in
color. The seats are leather and in perfect condition, but I would redo the
whole thing as I didn't like the marble effect. My 21 year old son agreed. Yet
this is a personal choice.

The ugly: While the engine ran fine, and had good oil pressure, the entire
engine bay was painted with a spray can red. Its peeling on the fire wall, the
starter the fuel pump, everywhere. The entire area must be cleaned , stripped
and detailed. The spray paint was put everywhere, including the fuel pump. If
you don't show people under the hood, no problem. All gaskets are leaking oil
and the engine is covered from the valve cover. I didn't drive the car, but I
doubt there are serious mechanical problems.

The disclaimer: I have no interest in the car. The owner is near or over 80 and
is the second owner ( and knew the first) The price of asking $14000 is not
unreasonable considering the milage and easy remedies to the problems I saw.
The
price has some but not much room in it. I really recommend seeing the car
before
buying it. I certainly don't want anyone to buy this car on what I saw or
observed.
Mike Leckstein