Overheating caused by timing problems?

To: MG list <mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Overheating caused by timing problems?
From: "James D. Howard II" <jhoward@argus.lowell.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 10:32:01 -0700 (MST)
Vehicle in question:  1967 MGB/GT
Problem: Overheating.  Temp gauge reads normal when ambient temp is below
80F, but rises to 212 when sitting in traffic or travelling over 65 mph
if the ambient is 81F.

Things done: Flush and fill radiator, new thermostat, took out old
radiator to have it rodded, found it cheaper to buy a new radiator from
Moss.  Still overheats.  New water pump. Checked timing, mixture.  Carbs
needed rebuilding, so I did.  Still overheats.  Check temperature gauge
with a calibrated thermometer - it is good to within 3F.  Noticed there is
a flat spot on acceleration, so check mechanical advance.  None present.
Pull distributor.  Springs are different than the ones in my spare.  Check
serial number - not an MGB distributor.  So, I put spare distributor in,
which is for an MGB.  Mechanical advance works, vacuum advance works.
Still overheats.

The only things I can think of now are:

mechanical advance curve not correct
blockage in the water galleries
timing marks are wrong

Are there specs somewhere on what the timing curve should be?

James Howard
Flagstaff, AZ