Re: Flexible brake hoses

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flexible brake hoses
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 08:50:39 +1000
At 01:17  30/9/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Just had a nice easy job replacing all three flexible brake hoses
>with new, braided steel covered ones.  Many thanks to the priestess
>Denise for her suggestion of keeping pencils handy to insert into the
>ends of the dripping lines until the hoses were ready to
>reconnect...it saved a lot of fluid and bleeding was simple.
>||Randy Lancaster               | Tel:202-482-4487        ||
>||National Telecommunications   | Fax:202-482-4396        ||
>||and Information Administration| rlancaster@ntia.doc.gov ||
>||Department of Commerce, USA   | 1967 MGB # 128,471      ||

As a matter of interest braided brake hoses are illegal in Australia.  The
authorities tested them and found that, with constant flexing (which occurs
mainly at the swages at both ends) the braiding fatigued and became a very
efficient knife to cut into the rubber hose and so produce a leak and so
brake failure.  I have spoken with the actual Dept of Transport and
Communications technical office who carried out the tests and I am convinced
that, while OK for aircraft etc where the flexing is not constant, they are
not suitable for cars unless inspected very regularly and replaced often.  A
further disadvantage is that you cannot inspect the condition of the rubber,
which might be cracking and/or de laminating to produce those one way valve
situations in the brake hose.

On your head be it!!!

regards,

Graham