RE: cracked manifold

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: cracked manifold
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 01:28:34 -0400
<Hi all:
<After praising my car recently the Gods have frowned upon me!
<my exhaust manifold on my 79"B" cracked at the bend just before the Cat
<luckily i have another manifold which I put on today does anyone know
<why it cracked? Am I running too lean? Is it a common fault on these
<manifolds? I am afraid to run it too much in case it happens again.I
<just put a rebuilt carb on the car about 1000 miles ago could there be
<something wrong with the carb? Also can this manifold be welded? Again
<I'm looking to the GLW (great list wisdom) for answers...Thanks in
<advance...Pat  79"B"

I had this happen on a 1500 midget & on a 79 B.  I have heard it is pretty
common on late model smog LCB's.  I had the Midget manifold welded, but it
has to be heated in a kiln until it is red hot and then welded, or the repair
won't last very long.  I sold the car after a few months so I don't really
know how long the repair lasted anyway.  Check to make sure that the Cat
isn't blocked, also that timing and fuel mixture are correct.  Too lean= to
hot.  Too rich, too much unburnt fuel ignited by airpump/cat=too hot.  Quick
temperature change from hot to cold=warping & cracking.  On my B, the crack
occured about a week after I reconnected the airpump to pass the smog check.
Working airpumps will become rarer and rarer, so since it might cause this
problem, take it off , lubricate & store it in a cool dry place until your
next smog check.

David Riker
69 Midget