Re: Weird, wild and wacky Midget behavior...I'm stumped

To: "Bart Schwartz" <bschwartz@dttus.com>
Subject: Re: Weird, wild and wacky Midget behavior...I'm stumped
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 00:05:17 -0700
Hi Bart,

I'm afraid you'll have to provide a lot more information before I, for one,
could even hazard a guess.

Was the knocking you described in item 1 relative to engine speed or wheel
speed?  Did it sound like metal on metal? Does it only happen above a
certain road speed?  Did it start off quietly, intermitantly or all of a sudden?
What do your instruments tell you about oil pressure and water temperature?
If it is only while driving at speed, check your brake / wheel temperatures.
Is one much hotter than the others? Check for a cut tire with a flap of
rubber flying about.  Did you lose brake pedal pressure or did the pedal
still travel the same distance without effect?

Let us know,

At 08:48 PM 9/30/96 CST, you wrote:
>     My '76 Midget is acting unexpectedly weird.  Here's the overview:
>
>     1) Two days ago it started banging.  It sounded like there was someone
>     under the bonnet knocking really loudly inside one of the fenders.
>     It's still doing this and I can't figure out where it's coming from.
>
>     2) I went out to drive it up and down the driveway to see if I could
>     pinpoint the noise in #1 and the brakes started going.  I had to press
>     all the way to the floor to stop the car... pretty scary.
>
>     3) When I cut the engine, there was a 25 second gurgling sound coming
>     from the top radiator hose.
>
>     I'm perplexed...
>
>     Any help would be massively appreciated!
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>

>     ****************************************************************
>     * Bart Schwartz                 Internet:  bschwartz@dttus.com *
>     * 1976 Midget 1500              CServe:    75753,2550          *
>     * Overland Park, Kansas                                        *

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT