Re: Basic Tools

To: DBGaither@aol.com
Subject: Re: Basic Tools
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 08:47:53 -0500
DBGaither@aol.com wrote:

> What are your thoughts on tools?  Please mention any of the brands above
> as I am considering them.  I'd like to hear from professionals as well as
> others like myself.

I've always thought Crafstman were fine for the home mechanic. The only thing I
watch for is to
buy the Sears tools stated with a "lifetime guarantee." I've seen clunkier
tools at Sears that
were "special purchase" and had a limited warranty -- I avoid those.

When I was younger and richer I bought some S&K wrenches. They hold up very
well and, maybe,
are a little thinner. But I paid quite a bit more for them.

The tools I've purchased that were my "special buys" include things like
fine-tooth ratchets. A
good 1/4 drive set (I use that a lot). A stubby 3/8 drive ratchet wrench. A set
of crows-feet
sockets. More lights -- Them halogens! A timing light with advance. A remote
starter switch and
a good dwell meter.