Re: TECHNICAL RESPONSES

To: MR JOHN H TWIST <VRHS43A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: TECHNICAL RESPONSES
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 06:53:44 -0400 (EDT)
Welcome Back, John, we missed you!

I have some questions/comments though:

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, MR JOHN H TWIST wrote:

> OIL CONSUMPTION:  Engine oil consumption is cause by leaks or burning.  If
> the engine leaks, it is very evident by the oil slick on the floor.  Oil

And it is not "normal" for the MGB at least to do either to great extent.
A quart every 1000 miles or less consumption is normal for a good strong
engine in any car.

If you have greater than that it is up to you to decide what is tolerable.
The Spitfire in this household burns oil 1 qt/250 miles (better than 1
qt/75 miles before the head rebuild) because we just don't want to do the
short block rebuild at this point.  The MGB went from the same consumption
to its current 1 qt per oil change interval after a total engine rebuild.

I can't comment on the rear seals of TFs or whatever, but marking
territory is not cute or characteristic of happy "modern" engines.

> MILES PER GALLON:  Expect 25mpg in all MGs, but Strombergs, in the right
> circumstance, can give much greater figures.  If the figures are low,
> ensure a good tune -- and CHANGE THE CARB NEEDLES and JETS.

At last a number in USan measurements, which reflects my experience.  But
is that with the tune to book value, or maxiumum advance w/o knock on
regular, plus, or premium unleaded gas?  What USan octane rating?

I use maximum advance for 93 octane gas, and get 18-20 in town and 23 on
the highway in my current config.  I do however have the Kent 286 degree
cam (fast road) installed with headers and the SK sidedraft carb (DCOE
clone, stock MGB Weber conversion jet sizes).  8.0:1 pistons on a 0.030
overbore engine.  I have achieved 25 highway with HIF4s before the
header. No overdrive in my transmission.  I will grant you I don't have
the optimum tune as low-end is a bit weak, although 3200 RPM+ is really
nice.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"Budget: A method for going broke methodically."