76B starter problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 76B starter problems
From: Matthew D Yarnell <my23+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 15:49:02 -0400 (EDT)
My 76B decided it doesn't want to start any more.  Being an
inexperienced mechanic, I was hoping I could get some advice from this
list on how to track down the problem.

The problem is basically that the starter motor doesn't turn when I turn
the key.  When I turn the key, I hear a click, but nothing else.  I
checked the connections at the starter solenoid, and they seemed fine.
While I turn the key, the tachometer oscillates from zero to around 4000
and back again.

How can determine the source of this?  Any other symptoms I should try
to detect?  What voltage should I detect where -  when I turn the key?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Matt