Re: Overdrive Transmission Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive Transmission Questions
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 09 Oct 1996 08:36:08 -0500
In <325A41A8.5B40@mail.ic.net>, Christopher M. Delling wrote:
>Got down to inspect the transmission this past weekend.  As near as I
>can tell it ain't no overdrive.  The seller doesn't know much about
>MG's, he bought a bunch of used parts and was told that it was an
>overdrive.  I will admit some ignorance here - I haven't ever seen an
>O.D. trans, so it is possible that I was mistaken.  Question:  How
>obvious are the external differences between the O.D. and non O.D.
>boxes?

The normal tranny has a long (about a foot or so) cone-shaped tail
casting.  The OD tranny has a kind of cylinder about 8-9 inches in
diameter near the back of it.  The edges of the cylinder are rounded
off.  The OD unit has a wire coming out of the solenoid housing and
also has a black or blue nameplate about an inch or so on a side that
says the model of overdrive.  If you look in a parts catalog, the ID
should be obvious.
                        A. B. Bonds