Need Help ASAP/Overdrive

To: gaither@cybergate.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Need Help ASAP/Overdrive
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 96 08:42 PDT
>Date: Mon, 7 Oct 96 20:21:18 -0000
>From: Douglas Gaither <gaither@cybergate.com>
>Subject: Need Help ASAP/Overdrive

>I have located an overdrive for my 1966 MGB for a reasonable amount >of
money.  The seller has ONLY the overdrive unit.  My 3-Sync tranny >is in the
middle of a rebuild right now.  I have a few questions that >I need answered
ASAP so I can either consumate this deal or >reluctantly, turn it down.

>I have been told that the overdrive needs a special overdrive version >of
the transmission.  Is this true?  Am I looking at locating yet >ANOTHER
transmission to mate to this overdrive?

>What else would I need, besides the OD switch on the dash?  Is there
>anything I should visually inspect before purchase (the owner of this >OD
had bought it to install in his father's B, so he has no knowledge >of the
condition of the OD-only that it appears to be all there).

>HELP!!!!  For $200 I think this deal may be a great value.  But I >need
your experience!!

>Doug "I'd really like an OD" Gaither

Doug,
     From my experience of converting a 72B, you need some additional parts
to convert a NON O/D tranny to an O/D tranny, I cannot believe that the 66B
can be much different in design.  If I am off base someone more knowledgable
please correct me.
The most important part is the new output drive shaft from the basic
transmission to couple with the OD unit. This shaft is very expensive IF and
I say IF, you can find one.
My advice is DO NOT TRY TO CONVERT. Find a complete tranny that has OD and
swap the two. I have done this and it is very do able and most certainly
less expensive than trying to buy the NEW parts to convert.
Another major item you will need is the rear extension to the transmission
case, there are other items too, but they are less expensive than the other
two major purchases.
Been there, done that! Good luck. John
E-mail jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com     John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.     **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **
 1969 MGBGT; 1974 MGB; 1976 MGB-RESTORED; 1979 MGB; 1972 MGB daily driver.