Re: A great day in St. Louis!

To: MGAdrvr@aol.com
Subject: Re: A great day in St. Louis!
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 19:47:50 -0500
MGAdrvr@aol.com wrote:

> On the practical side, I am about to atempt to install a new radio in my
> positive ground car.  Since I have a wood IP and the case & mounting bracket
> will be insulated, I intend to wire it as suggested by the radio
> manufacturer: positive on the radio to the positive(ground) of the car,
> negative of the radio to the negative(harness) of the car. Why should it
> matter to the radio how the current flow gets there?  I will have a line fuse
> ahead of the radio.  Any experience out there?  Any suggestions?
> I don't want to let any smoke out of the harness since everything has been
> perfect since the restoration.
> Thanks in advance.
> GO CARDINALS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Tom McCarthy

Tom -

        You are right, the radio doesn't care how the electrons get there - and
it will work if the radio and all associated components are insulated.
A point to consider - the antenna.  Antennas are grounded on one side to
the body via the mounting hardware that is on the underside of the
fenderwell.  This ground is connected to the shield of the cable, which
is then connected to the chassis of the radio.  You would need to make
sure that the antenna is isolated from the body in some manner, or is
isolated where it connects to the radio.  Maybe your radio has an
insulated RF connector - check it closely.  If the radio manufacturer
gives a hookup method for positive ground, it may well be that they have
considered this and have insulated the antenna input jack.  Otherwise,
you can probably be assured of a blown fuse, at least.

Good Luck
Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX