Re: Overdrive question

To: craig wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive question
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 20:58:14 -0700
craig wiper wrote:

> Does anyone out there know if an early LH type overdrive needs an angle
> drive to connect to the speedometer cable? My cable's endcap will screw on
> to the overdrive alright, but I'm not getting any cable spin. And I don't
> have an angle drive. In some of my catalogs, the detail shows the exploded
> view of the overdrive with an angle drive associated to it. In some other
> catalogs, it doesn't. If one is needed, would it be the same as on the
> non-overdrive transmission?  Please help!
>
> Thanks,
> Craig Wiper
> early '74 B
> craigw@sonic.netCraig...The early overdrives are referred to as "D" type, the
>later (I
believe '68 on) are called "LH" types.  I have an LH o/d in my '67 MGB
GT.  It requires an angle drive and a longer cable for the speedo to
function properly.  I believe the same would hold true for a D type.

I don't know where you live, but my local Moss distributor seems to know
a lot about MGs and TRs.  Call Economy Foreign Car Parts, ask for Tony
or Ron (916)342-1821. Per the usual disclaimers, I have no financial
interest in his store, only know about the good service he provides!

Cheer,

Jim Boyd
Paradise, CA                    "My overdrive provides me more than
                                just peace of mind (POM) "