Re: Overdrive question

To: "Damit Dick" <DamitDick@gnn.com>
Subject: Re: Overdrive question
From: "craig wiper" <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 20:28:56 -0700
Thanks Dick. That is what's going on in the overdrive. The pinion is not
turning. I located another new pinion and drive gear from Moss and have it.
Now, I can't seem to be able to remove the pinion bearing unit. It looks to
me in both manuals that I have that I just remove the clip holding the unit
in place and slide the unit out. Well, I tried that today. The bearing unit
won't budge. I can spin it around with a hammer and punch, but I can't
extract it. Do you or anyone else out there know the proper way to extract
the speedometer drive pinion gear and bearing unit while the transmission
is still in the car? Does it unscrew? Or is it extracted using something
like a slide hammer? Or is there a tool made to do this job? Anyone know? I
really don't want to pull the engine and transmission just to replace this.

Help!
Thanks again,
Craig Wiper
early '74 B