Re: Painting Prices

To: SPB3430@aol.com
Subject: Re: Painting Prices
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 07:43:08 -0400
SPB3430@aol.com wrote:

> What should I expect to pay for a new paint finish on an MGB roadster? The
> car is a daily driver (in summer) & I am not looking for a concours finish,
> just a decent looking paint finish on the car. I am planning on removing the
> bumpers & other chrome trim myself to save on costs. Also, is there anything
> else that I can do ahead of time to save on costs?
> Thanx in advance
> Steve Bartley
> NAMGBR 6-2585

Steve-

I recently got my car back from being painted here in the Detroit area.
The search to find a painter was a tough one.  Most body shops want only
collision repairs - they find that collector car work (and their owners)
are too fussy.  Some local restoration shops wanted $3500 to $4000 to do
some minor ding-repairs, and a respray.  Their deal was that "we don't
know how to do anything less than concours quality . . .".  I finalally
found a body and paint guy who does work on the side.  I delivered my B,
stripped of all exterior trim (except the absoulute minimums to drive
the car to his shop), he completed all remaining body work and paint
prep, and shot the car in acrylic enamel.  In return I got a car with an
excellent finish - flawless from less than 5 feet.  The interior was in
desparate need of cleaning - lots of sanding dust - and the undersides
have some overspray that I will need to cover using some spray paint
(i.e. exhaust and springs).  I am very happy.  Cost = $1500.

Good Luck

Chris Delling