Re: Jammed Starter Motor

To: pujalte@stic.net
Subject: Re: Jammed Starter Motor
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:31:21 -0400
  In the 257 K miles I've had to
  1) replace rings, rod and main bearings and re-seat the valves at about 98K
  2) replace 2 burnt exhaust valves at about 100K (due to a poor lap job
earlier - all the fault of the chief mechanic - ME)
  3) complete rebuild at 175K miles to include over bore, new pistons,
valves, bearings etc.
  4) Rebuilt again at 225K primarily to increase the output (got tired of
being passed by B's)  Kent 276 cam, new lifters, head porting and matching,
new pistons, clean up of cylinder head face & deck. Modified HS-2 carbs,
extractor exhaust, Brake system rebuild.
  Specs on engine - .030 over bore
      Rod Journals - STD
      Main Journals- STD
I purchased the car in 1978 as the second owner with 41,000 on the clock
  We've had to do a bit less with my son's 1973 Midget however. It didn't
need a full rebuild until it had about 175K on the odo and have only had to
replace one stuck valve since then. It now has 242 K on it.  It too is
overbored .030", with std rod and main bearings. We don't have a lot on the
previous history of the car, though as it had gone through several owers
before he acquired it with a bit over 100K.
  If you haven't guessed by now, I am a fanatic about regular oil changes and
maintenance.  I really believe it pays off in the long run.
  Oh, I am not a fanatic about Midgets though, I also own a 72 BGT which I
bought about 6 years ago with 95,000 on it. But in only has 176,000 right now
and the engine is fine, haveing been rebuilt shortly before I took possesion.
I'll probably leave that engine for a while yet.

Rick (what - me drive a lot?) Morrison