Tail and Brake Lights

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tail and Brake Lights
From: cciaffon@cisco.com (Chuck Ciaffone)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:24:58 -0400
Hi Y'all,

Had a small problem yesterday with my 72 Midget.  Rear running lights
worked until
I stepped on the brake. Then the right running light goes off and the right
brake light does not
come on.  The left side lights work ok.

I did all the usual checking of bullet connectors, etc, but the real
culprit seems to be
the tail light housing itself. I did a continuity test from the metal
backing plate to the
tail/brake light socket. No continuity. So I put a drop of solder to bond
the two and
voila!  Works great. Tail lite ciruit musta been using the brake light
circuit as a
temporary ground?

Anyway. That's a temporary fix, cause I'm sure my little solder gun does
not generate
enuff heat to really bond those metals.  What can I do to really fix the
problem? I hate to
find/buy a new light fixture.  Suggestions?

chuck