Re: Dash Pot Oil/Marvel Mystry Oil

To: "John P. Quinn" <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Dash Pot Oil/Marvel Mystry Oil
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 21:04:27 -0700
John P. Quinn wrote:

> Well, this got me to thinking, what about using Marvel Mystry Oil?  Ya
>know,that red stuff in a red can. This is supposed to be a good top cylider
>lubricate among other things. I've always used the same oil I put in the
>crancase which is Catrol 20-50W in the dash pots.
I thought this would be a good way to oil the carbs and get some top cyl
lube in at the same time.

> Any comments or suggestions on this idea?

Suggestion;
I use 20/50 crankcase oil in the summer months but switch to ATF or
Marvil Mystery Oil during the winter months. The thinner red stuff will
cause carb flutter with less than perfect SUs in hot driving conditions,
where the 20/50 oil causes the carbs to be over dampered during the cold
months. Basically, you will get better milage using thinner oil in the
winter months. Of course there is always SU dashpot oil for sale at
several dollars an ounce.

Frank Clarici