RE: Close ratios for MGA ?

To: <BarneyMG@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Close ratios for MGA ?
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 17:26:38 -0500
>>Does anyone know the gear ratios for a close ratio
>>gearbox for an MGA?

The are outlined in "The Original MGA" ... will post them
>when I get home.

>>Was this a production option an new MGAs or only an
>>aftermarket item?

To my knowledge this was a production item ... seem to
remember that Clausager outlines how the engine number
was modified when the close-ratio gear set was fitted ...
similar to the change in a 'B' engine number when and OD
tranny was fitted ... again I will check this evening.

>>I don't see it in the factory workshop manual.

Not sure that all factory options are listed.

>>Is there a ready source for a close ratio gear set for the
>>MGA?

Other than Brown & Gammons ... you might try Bob West
in the U.K.  phone 01977 703828 fax 01977 798299