Need help with MGB leaks

To: joseph_cianciotti@ns_gmosf.gmosf.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Need help with MGB leaks
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 96 09:03 PST
>From: joseph_cianciotti@ns_gmosf.gmosf.com
>Subject: Need help with MGB leaks

Joseph,
       You have a classic car with one of it's classic problems!
I do not think you will ever make it totally water tight.
One area you might want to check is the seals between the wiper mechanism
and the body. These deteriorate and then allow water to access behind the
dash. Warning! You will not easily remove the nut from the shaft of each
wiper wheel box. These are brass and fit to a soft aluminum shaft. From
experience I can tell you most do not come off even with the correct size
wrench. Plan on replacing the nuts if you attempt to remove them. Get the
replacements and the gaskets before you start. This job is not for the faint
hearted and often what happens is the wheel box will turn and the mechanism
behind the dash gets out of alignment. If you are really determined, remove
the dash first! This is another pain of a task.
The pillar seals, located under each end of the frame, need caulk to prevent
water seepage. If these are not caulked at the time the windshield is
inserted it could be the cause of one of your leaks. You may be forced to
remove and replace the windshield assembly. Check carefully where the side
posts join the bottom rail, make sure this area is caulked. Has the glass
gasket been replaced? Check also the top rail where the roof attaches. This
is another area where water can get into the frame. At each end of the top
rail, where all the screws are there, are joints that allow water access to
the frame.
Look carefully where the glass seal connects with the frame, there may be a
gap somewhere that gives water access.
How well do your doors meet the windshield frame? Since the seal at the
bottom of the windshield was replaced, the windshield was removed to do
this. There is a forward/ rearward 'rake' to the windshield assembly. It is
set by adjusting the 4 mounting bolts, two each side behind the dash in each
foot well, near the top. These bolts are rather large so you can find them
reasonably easily. You must remove the trim pad in each foot well to gain
access.
The bolts go through the side towards the outside of the car and screw
directly into the windshield pillar extension that passes through the fender.
Have the seals on the pillars been replaced? This is another pain of a job
and getting the windshield frame back into the body with all the seals in
place takes great patients and offers many opportunities to vent frustration
and shout lots of 4 letter words.
It is no wonder this assembly leaks, I cannot imagine this was a favorite
task on the assembly line.
The trunk leaks are from the "motif" on the trunk lid, the seal around the
fuel filler pipe and sometimes from a distorted trunk lid or a damaged seal.
If the lid gets bent a little it will no longer seal properly.
I hope I have not painted too gloomy a picture for you.
Been there done that 3 or 4 times.  Good luck John

E-mail jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com     John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.     **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **
 1969 MGBGT; 1974 MGB; 1976 MGB-RESTORED; 1979 MGB; 1972 MGB daily driver.