Re: Wheels / Tires

To: Larry Hoy <73253.1136@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Wheels / Tires
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 21:11:48 -0700

>I have gotten the bug for new wheels and tires
>for my 1969 MGB. I have decided on Daytons
>with stainless steel spokes.  Now here comes the hard part.  I think I want
to get 15 inch
>wheels and use a lower profile tire to stay
>close to the same circumferance as the stock
>arrangement.
>
>Questions:
>
>1  What is the circumfererance of the stock
>   wheel/tire arrangement (5.60 x 14)
>
>2  I can get 5" or 6" wheel widths,
>   suggestions?
>
>3  Tire size?  I don't want too radical.   But
>   I am looking for traction and cornering.
>
>Thanks in advance for all the help.
>
>Larry
>1969 MGB

I just went to a web sight for vintage tire (actually I think it was vintage
tyre), they state the original 5.60 x 14 tires to have a tread of 155mm
wide, and overall height of 620 mm.  This tells me that stock MGB tires
translate to what would now be 155/85 S 14's.  If you know how to translate
the code you can come up with the following 15" rim sizes that will maintain
your speedometer being correct (or very close to correct):

        155/75 SR 15
        165/70 SR 15
        175/70 SR 15
        185/65 SR 15
        195/60 SR 15

I have shown S rated tires, you may want a higher speed rating (which will
give better handling due to stiffer sidewalls).  You will get better
handling due to just your shorter side walls, so you probably don't need to
get too radical on the really wide tread width.  The shorter (and or
stiffer) sidewall will also give a rougher ride.  If you go too wide you
will rub the fenders (I am not sure of the limit, I have heard 195 widths
will do it).

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB