unusual earth/ground

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: unusual earth/ground
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 01:40:35 +1100 (EST)
Some long time ago I replaced the conventional canister type air cleaner on
my TC with twin sports filters, the front one of which required some minor
modification to clear the radiator stay.

Now I have noticed before and again today that on occasion I get a spark
flash from the (front) air filter at the point where it likely as not makes
some minor contact with the stay.

I have sought to overcome this by cutting a piece of plastic hose,
splitting it down the middle and slipping it over the stay so as to
insulate the two components.

This should cure the problem but I am confused as to the cause and quite
why I should be getting any grounding here at all. I've never received a
boot from touching the carburettors or the engine block when the engine has
been running.

The spark flash seems to be intermittant - most probably in sync with one
of the spark plugs firing. Which one and why I'm buggered if I know.

Sometimes on a long run during which the car performs perfectly when I get
into traffic again and in an idle situation the engine will miss, idle
rough and play up a bit. This may be the cause of that problem with a short
causing a plug to misfire.

Any ideas where this short might be coming from?

Regards to all

Paul