Re: MGB in Shop

To: "Vince J. Pujalte" <pujalte@stic.net>
Subject: Re: MGB in Shop
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 14:03:08 +0000
<From: pujalte @ stic.net ("Vince J. Pujalte") @ USDESMTP
<Date: 11/05/96 11:37:46 AM
<
<Bob,
< (1) What are they doing to your B that takes a year to fix/restore?
< (2) Are you in the Electronic Ignition arm of Delco? I was trained as a
<GM tech by the Delco Parts Division. If you have any materials on the HEI
<ignition system-4 pin and more recent- I could really use them.I have
<lost all mine in 3 cross-country moves.
<I hope this doesn't pose any inconvenience for you
<God Bless,
<-Vince
<'78 Midget "Betsy"
<San Antonio,Texas

The B is getting new sills, floors, and a few other things that had rusted
out. This shop is the only one around here that specializes on British
sports cars (90 percent of his business are B's). The shop is run by one man
who I think has stretched himself too far. The place is always packed with
cars and I think he has deemed my car a low priority because there was
quit a lot of hidden rust he didn't anticipate. He says he will hold his
price although he is doing extra work. He claims he is taking a loss on
my car. (I think $4K ought to fix a lot of rust!) I bought the car a year
ago last October. The body rot was skillfully hidden with bondo. It looked
really good, almost new from a distance. I didn't realize it needed body
work untill I reached my hand underneath and felt a big hole with nothing
but the outer sill panel holding the car up in the middle. (And that panel
had holes patched up with bondo.) I visit the car about once a month and
there is always a little more work done each time I see it. It looks like
he is doing a good job, but my patience is wearing a little thin. I have
JPG pictures of the work in progress. I can email them to anybody who is
interested. They show very graphically where the B rusts.

As for Delco I'm an engineer in the radio division, sorry I don't have
any connection with the ignition systems.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop, 12 months and counting