Re: Lucas, cool wheels

To: william.eastman@medtronic.com
Subject: Re: Lucas, cool wheels
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 14:38:48 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-05 10:19:30 EST, william.eastman@medtronic.com
(William Eastman) writes:

<< ..... Second, I have picked up a copy of Mr. Gaylord's A.  Where did you
get those cool wheels?  A set would look pretty nice under the Christmas tree
although I think my wife is expecting earings or something.  Personally, I
think MGA parts are way more romantic. >>

First off, I hope you're sitting down.  $325 each, custom built to stock
dimensions (15 x 4 with 1-3/8 negative offset) to stay in Stock class with
SCCA.  Spent two years (on and off) trying to find a way.  The usual response
on the phone was "You want want 15" racing wheels HOW WIDE ???", followed by
click, buzzzzz, hello?

Finally found a place.  They look a lot like BBS 1-piece wheels, but not.
 They are HRE brand, made by Phoenix Wheel Company Inc, Vista, CA.  These are
a 3-piece assembly, heavy forged aluminum centers, 2 light spun aluminum rim
pieces, 20 carbide alloy screws all around to hold it together.  Very stiff
in the center where it counts, very light in the outter reaches where it also
counts.  You could drive a truck on these things, or at least a hot race car.
 Not recommended for street use, too easy to bend a rim if you side swipe a
curb while parking.

I bit the bullet and did it for self preservation.  When I started running
those sticky road race tires, the cornering forces were enough too create
stress cracks in the stock steel wheels.  After cracking the third steel
wheel in less than one season, I decided to spend the $$$ and maybe save a
life.  Before receipt of the new wheels, I managed to break three more steel
wheels in one day.  The last one came off the car by ripping large holes in
the wheel, pieces like ragged steel washers still hanging on the lug nuts.
 For certain, it had a lot to do with one broken wheel stud.  No other
damage, just put the street tires back on and called it a day.  New wheels
came wo days later.

Safety faster,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude