RE:midget door hinges and windsceen removal

To: jeremy.baxter@parallax.co.uk, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:midget door hinges and windsceen removal
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 16:16:11 -0500
>>Can anyone offer any advice about either of the folowing (the cars a 72):
>
>1) taking the door hinges off the car, I've taken the door off the hinges
>but seem unable to get the hinges off the car ( I want to get them off cause
>one of them is v. stiff and looks like it's bending the a post every time
>the door's opened or closed!

An impact driver with the correct size phillips bit installed is the only
way.  Spray the screws with penitrating oil like liquid wrench or WD-40, and
let soak overnight.  Then use impact driver.

>2) taking the windscreen + frame out - I've undone the bolts on either side,
>just inside the doors, and the bolts that release the rod just under the
>rear view mirror, but it just don't seam to lift out.

Did you remove all 4 bolts (2 on each post)?  If so rock the windscreen frame
back and forth until it loostens up and rocks freely.  There are usually one
or two shims on each side which should fall out after it has been rocked back
and forth a few times.  then with one person on each side of the car, lift
the windscreen straight up.  It will bind if you try to lift one side out and
then the other.  BTW, if you plan on replacing the rubber strip between the
windscreen frame and body of the car GOOD LUCK.  It is a royal pain in the
ass.  Unless it is very badly weathered, it is a job I would never do again.
 PAY SOMEONE!

David Riker
69 Midget