Re: Why standard?

To: Wadesh@msn.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why standard?
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:24:26 -0500

<< Were they just being
 conciderate to us Americans? >>

Hi Wade and welcome to the list.....think WW2, all that American equipment
and the local nuts and bolts didn't fit, and they weren't metric either they
were Whitworth (course) or British Standard Fine (fine thread).....the only
metric were the threads on Morris (MG and others) built engines and gearboxes
but even these has Whitworth heads.  Its a long story and if you check out
the SOL web page, you'll find an article on it....one of our List members,
Chip Old, wrote the definitive article on the English thread systems many
years ago.

So, the Brits changed over to a thread system similar to what we Americans
have used for a long time....nowadays, and I don't know when this started,
they have switched again to the Metric system so as to be in tune with the
rest of the industralized world, America excepted!

So all this gave birth to the Metrinch tools....which I think first appeared
in England...not sure about that tho....

Cheers,
Terry