MGB head followup

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB head followup
From: Lewis Dove <ldove@macomb.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 11:15:45 -0800
I'm back from a tour of the Fall colors in New England, but I didn't
take the MG :o( . Anyway, many of you sent useful suggestions when I
posted some compression pressures and a description of plug colors on the
net about 4 weeks ago. The consensus was that the valve guide seals
and/or guides were shot. Here is the "rest of the story":
  I pulled the head and now know what valve recession looks like.  The
valve heads were flush or below the surface of the combustion chamber. I
took the head to an engine head rebuilder in Chapin, IL. He magnifluxed
it, pronounced it crack-free, and I left a VickyBrit catalog with him. He
 had it ready for me by the end of the week, with new guides, seals,
hardened valve seats and all new valves for 258 dollars, including parts
and labor. I went home feeling very grateful; I installed the head and
everything works fine!  I can get a smooth idle and much more power.  I
don't know how the oil consumption/loss has been affected yet. I found
that the valve guide seals were GONE, as in absent, on the old head. The
guides were badly worn; three of the old exhaust valves were history, and
of course the seats were eroded beyond repair.  I now have a head which
can use modern fuels and works properly for 258 bucks, plus the price of
a head conversion kit (gaskets). I am a happy camper!
 Thanks again for the help
          Lew Dove
          slave to Nigel Cudgel, resourceful '65 MG tourer