Re: Stick in a 'B engine...

To: WJAD81D@prodigy.com (MR JOHN P ELWOOD)
Subject: Re: Stick in a 'B engine...
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 17:27:30 -0700
>I don't think I should stick a'B engine in my Magnette.  This
>Magnette, a Mk. III Farina, runs like clockwork.  There are only 46,
>000 miles on that engine, and both previous owners pampered the car.
>Since there are only seven in the world, (or 44, depending on who you
>ask.  Practical Classics says 7), is it really advisable to modify a
>very original, low milage, rare MG just for the sake of driving on
>the highway?  I don't think so.  This is not your more common ZA or
>ZB... this is a whole 'nother MAgnette all together.  Only the engine,
> the transmission, and the rear and are shared between the cars.
>This car has different final gearing, and different carburettors.  Oh,
> yeah, and a totally different body.  If you haven't seen it, it
>looks ALOT like an MGB.  Same shape fins, and the little nose behind
>the MG crest.
>But about that Jag, I've been looking into it, how about an early
>seventies V-12 XJ sedan?  I have to look at it, but I hear it's nice.
>

>         John
I agree.  No need to put a B engine in it if you don't have problems.  Just
use the old highways.  I know anohter Mk III Farina Magnette, actually, it
lives less than 2 miles from me, and the owners are quite friendly.  There
is also a Woseley (sp??) 6/99 on a used car lot here.  They have virtually
the same body as the Mk III farina, but different (some say nicer) trim, and
an AH 2912 engine stock.  The car is delapidated, but it is about the same
body, but capable of 99 miles/hr due to the AH engine.  I wouldn't expect to
find all this stuff out here in Idaho Falls, ID, but I've also found the
former Citroen dealer, and he has about 15 derilict DS Citroens.  Any for
sale at the right price (and he seems to want a lot for them).

An early XJ12 huh??  I have the rare of rare in those, it is a Series II
XJ12C.  I think a short wheelbase series I is rarer, but the 2 door coupes
are a different car.  Mine is in bad shape, but it runs well, leaks
excessively, and I am actively working on it.  It will be beautiful sometime
in the next 7 years.  The thing to look out for is and engine that has
overheated, so check the compression in both banks.  Overheated V-12's are
known to drop valves, and be quite costly and difficult to repair.  Expect
oil leaks from the strangest places, and expect them to be almost impossible
to get to.  My next job is the oil filter housing, which will require me to
turn the wheels full levft, remove the exhaust, and pull a bunch of stuff.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C