Re: TC supercharger

To: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Subject: Re: TC supercharger
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:53:17 -0800 (PST)
At 03:09 AM 11/10/96 +1100, you wrote:

>I have been interested in following the developing thread on supercharging.
>
>In my library I have a book entitled: "Tuning and Maintenance of MG Cars"
>by Philip H Smith in which under a chapter entitled 'Super-tuning the
>T-type engine' he takes the engine to a Stage 5 tune.
>
>Get this and tell me if anyone is game to try it.
>
>1.      Shorrock supercharger running at 6 psi at 5,000 rpm
>
>2.      Compression ratio of 9.3:1 (by machining the maximum of 1/8")

I have the book too. I'd be interested in the comments of others who have
advised against raising the compression ratio  when supercharging. However,
the stage 5 tune is presumably for racing, not street use. I recall one of
the stages recommends methanol fuel. As I mentioned in an earlier response,
Blowers manual has a power curve showing considerable HP increase by
increasing boost pressure to 10 psi with alternate pulley arrangements.
Obviously there are tradeoffs in all these variables. What's optimum?

I'll be trying a Marshall J75 running at 6 psi, but NOT going to the  other
stages for street use.

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA