Weber Side Draft

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weber Side Draft
From: Bill Mills <williem@nando.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 96 21:10:36 -0500
-- [ From: Bill Mills * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

I brought home a Weber side draft carb today.  This unit was running on a
'74 roadster.  I am going to put it on my '70 GT which is stock including
the distributor.  The Weber is a Type 7E and has a manifold marked Cannon
801, K&N filter.  I didn't get any information with this carb.  Can anyone
point me to some sources of information/parts for setting up this carb?  I
will be running with the stock distributor which has a vacuum advance.  I
need to get my vacuum source worked out.  This Cannon manifold has been
tapped on both sides and a connecting hose fitted between the two sides near
the head side, I assume this is to provide some equalization of the vacuum
between the two barrels.  Would it work ok to put a tee in this hose for the
dist vacuum?  Peter Burgess's book on powertuning recommends taking the
vacuum on the upstream side and very close to the butterflys.  His comment
is that if the take off is on the engine side of the butterflies-so the dist
receives vacuum signal at all times-it will create the wrong advance
characteristics for the engine.  How important is this vacuum location?  Do
I need to invest in a centrifigal  advance carb like the Mallory dual point
dizzy?

Bill Mills
70BGT
Raleigh, NC