Re: Lucas Sports Coil bites the dirt

To: BarneyMG@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lucas Sports Coil bites the dirt
From: Larry Berger <bialy@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:44:47 -0500 (EST)
At 12:43 PM 11/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 96-11-12 08:09:37 EST, merryweather@venus.connectware.com
>(?) writes:
>
><< .....  Maybe that frozen stuff on the Buckeye roads splashed up and did
>the trick.  Since the coil seems to be mounted in a variety of places
>depending on the MOWOG inspiration of the day, where they put yours.  .....
> >>

>Was on top of the generator.  As a matter of convienience for servicing, I
>relocated it to the inner fender, still pretty high, about 8" to the right of
>the original location.  Probably better protected now, hiding behind the
>radiator mounting panel and facing to the rear.  When it crapped out it was
>high and dry, no sign of splash or snow.
>
>Barney

I have this great need to tell a Lucas Sports Coil story.  About 15 years
ago, my MG was doing some strange ignition things - one of my "friends" who
was a tech rep for an major, but not to be named, electronic diagnosis
device company, came over to my house with his company van, pulled out an
engine analizer about the size of a Buick, and proceded to check out my car.
Needless to say, this thing caught the attention of most of my neighbors,
since it was a little bigger than my SEARS Roebuck's best ignition analizer
that i had been using.  Dick really looked slick, he even put on his white
Lab Jacket.

After 2 hours of puttering around the engine compartment of my B, Dick said,
"I have another test which will show us the condition of your coil."  He
removed my then new Lucas Sports Coil and hooked it up to the behemoth
analizer to do a "Coil Stress Test".  Dont know exactly what it was supposed
to do, but it sorta puts the high voltage into the tower of the coil and
measures something.... or is supposed to.

Anyway, after the sparks, the fireworks, the extinguisher and lots of smoke,
my good buddie Dick looked at me and said "I think your coil is bad">