Lucas Sports Coil bites the dirt

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lucas Sports Coil bites the dirt
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 23:41:40 -0500
I installed a new Lucas Sports Coil on my MGA this summer, opened up the
spark plug gaps to .045", and it hasn't missed a beat since, until now.

Driving home form Brooklyn saturday night (and sunday morning), I was just
getting into the driving through the mushy snow thing near Cleveland when the
ignition crapped out.  The new Lucas Sport Coil developed a small crack at
the base of the high tension connector tower allowing the spark to leak
across to the dist terminal.  I managed to tape over the crack well enough to
supress the arcing so I could get home OK, but now I need a new coil.

The insulating plastic on the coil HT tower is smaller diameter (thinner) on
the Sport Coil than on the original coil.  Anybody else had a problem with
one of these coils cracking here?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA