MG This n' That n' Whatever

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG This n' That n' Whatever
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:14:05 -0400 (AST)
Greetings all! Haven't posted in awhile, but have been reading along
nevertheless...there've been some interesting developments in our
conversations, including:

- Fawlty Towers Austin or Morris 1100 or 1300...my memories surround a 1969
(as I recall) Austin 'America' as they were called in North America. It was
a burgundy two-door automatic(!)I was given to drive in the spring of '71 by
the dealer as I waited for my nice new Austin Mini to arrive. One day whilst
deftly cornering, secretly, a pedestrian had the audacity to step on the
road, and so, to avoid vehicular manslaughter, I veered right during this
left turn, and soundly smacked both front wheels headon against the concrete
curb. The car stopped abruptly, and afterwards, was *extremely* difficult to
steer, and I noticed the steering wheel seemed about 4 inches higher than
when I first took the car. After taping up (!) the split exhaust, I ended up
wrestling this poor Austin around for about a couple of weeks in this
condition, until my beloved Mini arrived. When I got the call from the
dealer that the Mini was in, I left the Austin parked waaaaay over on the
other side of the lot...never did hear 'bout that from the dealer...anyone
on the list grow up in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada? Arnies Auto Sales was
the BMC, then Leyland dealer. For those of us who experienced his 'customer
service' - many feel I should have driven the Austin into his head.....but I
digress....

- David leaves, finally returns (excellent!), now Denise is going British!!
The emotional rollercoaster of it all, the emotional swings...and to think
some watch TV soaps for this kind of buzz...(really, DD - glad you're back,
Denise - envy envy, and good luck!)

- and now a word on Rover's legal pursuit of trademark protection -
thpptppphhtt (indicates rasperry-ish sound). I hope they don't peer into my
garage - I've just painted a six-foot long image of the MG logo used on the
radio blanking plate on Bs on my wall. Took me hours. Cease and desist this!

- interesting exercise. If you take all the nay-sayer posts regarding the
MGF, and the questions regarding it's 'MG-ness' - and cut out all the
'MGF's, and replace with 'MGB' - then they'd all read like articles on the
MGB back in '64 from then-MGB-naysayers! (I do have too much time on my
hands..) Think about the F 20 years from now, you bet your purity it'll be
an 100% MG then, just as it is now!

- absolutely spectacular weather this past weekend - sunny & warm while many
portions of the continent experienced an early taste of winter. Decided to
un-earthed the roadster for a
this-is-the-latest-in-the-year-I've-ever-driven-the-car toot along the
coast. Spectacular. It seemed appropriate it was Rememberance Day afternoon,
and justly so, drove along thanking those who sacrificed, so I (we) can
enjoy our freedom(s) - we must never lose sight of that fact...

- BTW, FWIW, IMHO I'm glad we got this acronom thing straight...so, what
does the 'D' indicate when used with Previous Owner? Dumb, dorky, decent,
delicate, dedicated.....(sounds like a dead parrot routine...)

- and for those of you who indulge in scale automobilia, having built the
Aoshima MGBs (including one as a GT with an aftermarket resin body), the old
Monogram TCs, we've moved along to the Tamiya MK II Jaguar Saloon (GREAT
kit), the Tamiya Morgan (ditto), and an older Revell Jag XK-120 (really fine
kit), and am now mid-Tamiya Lotus Super 7 (lovin' it). FYI (sorry) next
month, - Revell's coming with a 1/24 Austin Healey 3000 (can't wait). Anyone
got any other kits of British cars for sale? I'm listening...

Oh yeah, still looking for accessory gauges for the two consoles...y'never
kno...

Later listers...always a great read...

Cheers from Canada's Atlantic coast!

Terry "Chatty" Williams