Re: fluid leak

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: fluid leak
From: "Tom Luby" <ceetjl@cee.hw.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 19:17:39 +0000
On Nov 18,  6:33pm, Nick Pitt wrote:
> Subject: Re: fluid leak
>
> A more common cause of brown fluid in the B's footwells is rusty water from
> a leaking heater. Don't know if this helps with the midget problem tho'.
>
>           Nick('73 B)
>  ----------
> From: mgs-owner
> To: PLM97
> Cc: mgs
> Subject: Re: fluid leak
> Date: 18 November 1996 10:50
>
> PLM97@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > I happened to take my 74 Midget out this weekend and noticed a brown fluid
> > had leaked onto the mat under the brake pedal.  Does anyone have any
> > experience with this.  There is not a great deal of fuild, maybe 2
> teaspoons.
> >  The car had sat in the garage for about two weeks.  No additional fluid
> > leaked while running.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks
> >
> > P. Haase
> > Maryland
>
> Don't have any experience with Midgets, but fwiw, the B has a small oil
> pressure tube connected to the back of the oil gage.  If the junction of
> this tube isn't tight, engine oil will drain into the cockpit.  Could be
> the Midget has a similar problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Delling
>-- End of excerpt from Nick Pitt

I have a similar problem with my '76 Midget. The liquid I have is rusty water
and only appears after it has been raining hard.

Over the years water has ran down the driver side wing gutter and sometimes
dripped down the two small holes in the gutter (if it was raining heavily
enough). It then drips just below the brake/clutch cylinder box and runs onto
the wheel arch. This has caused a small hole to appear in the wheel arch. The
water then runs through this and gets trapped just behind the pedal board and
so rusted its way onto the floorpan.
It took me absolutely ages to discover the cause of the problem and only after
blocking the holes in the guttering with blu-tack did I discover the cause!

It could be that a previous journey has stored up enough water to leak out when
you drove it. I know it takes a long time for the area to dry out once it gets
wet

Hope this helps

Tom

--