1961 MGA question (was Re: Sorry about your cat).

To: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1961 MGA question (was Re: Sorry about your cat).
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:12:53 -0600 (CST)
Bill,

I see you have a 1961 MGA. I know Barney does, and I know others of the list
do, too (but I can't remember *all* the names!)

Got a question...

We are working on the MGA, as I have written in earlier posts.

We are waiting on some new parts for the rear axle (lock nut and tab washer)
but are ready to redo the front.

What is the general thought on converting the front wheel bearings from ball
bearings to tapered bearings. A friend did this on his 78 midget, and he is
wondering how the application would apply to the MGA.

Will this work? If so, what are the timkin numbers for the bearings we will
want to use.

And....while we're at it...

What is the prevailing lubrication of choice for the 1) splines and 2) threads?

I spoke with one fellow who said to use Vaseline and check the lubrication
every 12,000 miles.

Any thoughts out there on this topic??

>Any other suggestions?  Although not politically correct, this kind of
>humor, IMHO, can still be funny.

I agree on the humour. I suppose humour is in the eye of the beholder. :-)
I laugh a lot, so I suppose I find more humourous things in my life, than
unpleasant ones.

Hey! Life is a banquet! Enjoy it while you can.

Thanks in advance.................Carol

>Regards
>Bill Eastman
>61 MGA