Re: TD brake lights

To: Michael Christie <Michael@rafm.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: TD brake lights
From: stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 17:19:08 -0500
Michael Christie wrote:

> In message <3294507F.1B14@hbp.com>, Steve Tritle <stevet@hbp.com> writes
> >Michael Christie wrote:
> >>
> >> In message <3292353B.59E4@hbp.com>, Steve Tritle <stevet@hbp.com> writes

> >> Hi Steve,
> >> The wiring for the tail lights by-passes the switch, so shorting the
> >> switch shouldn't make the tail lights work. It sounds like the loom's
> >> wrong but can you let me know:-
> >>
> >> 1 Do you have the correct wiring loom for stop lights?
> >> 2 Have they ever worked before?
> >> 3 What wiring diagram are you using.
> >>
> >> If you don't have the correct diagram I can email or fax one to you.
> >> Is this a rewire or are you working with an old loom?
> >> Do you have access to a circut tester?
> >> --
> >> Michael Christie.
> >>
> >> "It is not necessary to know the answer, just to understand the question."
> >Michael,
> >
> >My car was restored using the harness (loom) from Moss. The stop lights
> >have never worked. I do have a circuit tester but not a wiring diagram.
> >Could the switch be bad? I just don't wish to bleed the system to
> >install a new one.
> >
> >Steve Tritle
> Steve.
> Can you tell me the colour of the wires that lead to the stop lights. I
> take it that there are double filament sockets in the tail lights?
> Do you have indicators fitted as well as part of the wiring loom? [This
> should help me decide which wiring diagramme to send.
> If you look at the stop light switch, does the loom pass this switch
> with just one green lead connecting to either side of the switch?
> Are you working from a workshop manual, which one?
> --
> Michael Christie.
>
> "It is not necessary to know the answer, just to understand the question."
Michael,

The tail lights have a green, striped, and black wire. Double filament
sockets and bulbs installed. The switch has a green, and striped wire.
There are no turn signals.

I tested the brake switch and got one hot wire with the ignition switch
on. When I tested the othe terminal on the brake switch with the brake
pedal depressed it showed the switch to be suspect. I think I need to
replace the brake switch but don't know if I must bleed the system to do
so.

Steve Tritle