Re: Monroe rear shock conv

To: pbailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: Monroe rear shock conv
From: Michael Hartwig <mhartwig@odin.cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:39:59 -0600
pbailey wrote:

> Hi all:
> Has anyone out there put a set of Monroe rear conversion shocks on their
> "B"?I see Moss motors has them for sale for $109.95 which compaired to
> the Spax conversion kits seems reasonable.I am not into racing but would
> like something better than the lever arm shocks....Thanks in
> advance...Pat  BTW I went to the sawp meet in Pasadena and there was a
> lot of stuff a  nice restored couple of restored Bs and Dammit Dick and
> Bruce Durgan it was nice to see them there....also a TF with a Cobra
> engine in it!!

I was talked out of the conversion by Monroe.  It's said that the shocks
used in the Monroe kit are actually truck shocks.  Hardly suitable for a
small roadster.  I just got my rear Spax kit installed and I've yet to
put more than 100 miles on it.  But from what I can tell, it is a well
designed kit and gives you adjustability.  Right now, with the new leaf
springs and shocks, the rear end is bouncy.  I'm going to let the
suspension settle some before i tighten it up and start adjusting.  I
assume the tuning screw on the gas shock adjusts rebound and damping, so
to get rid of the bouncing, I probably should tighten up the setting.
Right now, it's on 1 of 14 with 14 being the stiffest.

If you do decide on the Monroe, let me know how they work, so I can find
out if I got jipped.  I don't think so, though.  I've actually heard the
Monroes are a step down from the lever shocks on your car now.

Jay