Re: Fly-off Emergency Brake

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Subject: Re: Fly-off Emergency Brake
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:25:00 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Christopher M. Delling wrote:

> Stupid question time folks!  I have owned two LBC's in my lifetime,
> first a '72 Triumph Spitfire Mk IV, and currently a '77 MGB (Yes, I came
> to my senses and bought an MG).  I was reading a history of MGA last
> night, and reference was made to a Fly-Off brake handle.  O.K., here is
> the stupid question - what is a fly-0ff brake handle?

I've read the other replies to this query, but I don't quite agree with
them.  The fly-off handle is a stock item.  Most brakes ratchet as you
pull them on, then you push a button to release them, holding the button
down until the brake is fully off.  The fly-off operates differently.  You
pull the brake on, then push the button to set the brake.  When you want
to release it, you simply pull up a bit more, let it go, and it "flies
off."

You can do hand brake turns nicely with it, as somebody else pointed out,
and if you are doing a le Mans start, I suppose it saves a half second or
so.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910