Dead battery

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dead battery
From: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 21:22:23 PST
When I went to start my car this evening, the battery was dead.  As far as I
can
remember, the only difference in my driving behavior today was that after
making
a few quick stops for errands, I got stuck for about an hour in a bad traffic
jam.  I had my lights, heat and radio on.  Would idling for a long time with
that equipment on cause a battery discharge?

I jump started the battery and the car immediately sprang back to life.  But
after and hour of driving without the heat or radio on (I needed the lights)
the
battery is still dead.

My car is positive ground, so I assume I have the old-style dynamo. I checked
under the hood and it's turning.  I have a single 12-volt battery.  And my
starter has just been rebuilt. (So the car usually starts on the first crank.)

I'll have the battery re-charged Friday, but will it just go dead again?

Please help.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joseph
'67 Roadster