New GT shells

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New GT shells
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 96 19:57:36 GMT
I happened to mention to Paul Kile that I had seen the rebuild of a
V8 at the Classic Show in Birmingham, UK, a couple of weeks ago using
the new GT bodyshell.  He wondered if I had any information about
type of shell and price, the following is what I was told by BMIHT,
others of you may find it of interest.  Or not.

"Spoke to BMIHT and got some answers although frankly I don't have a
lot of confidence in them, see what you think.  I rang BMIHT at
Gaydon who put me through to the factory.  Got an answering machine,
left my name and number but have had no call back since.  Rang Gaydon
again and was put through to the Archive!  At least they gave me the
number of the factory, 1993 707200 (prefix with your code for the
UK).

"1.  Chrome or Rubber.  They said both, but not the V8.  The V8 needs
modifications which BMIHT are referring people to Bromsgove MG for,
although I thought that the shells for 1800 and V8 had been
commonalised at some point.  I spoke to Bromsgrove who at first
seemed to think I was asking about V8 conversions, sounded a bit
doubtful when I said I was asking about a reshell of a V8, but didn't
deny that mods were required.  They wouldn't give a price but said
they would quote on receipt of a letter detailing requirements.  When
I was at the show and watching the rebuild I picked up a leaflet
which says "This year, to celebrate the launch of the new MGB GT
bodyshell, .... will build that rare and most desirable classic
British sportscar - an MGB GT V8 ...".  No mention of having to
modify the shell.

"2.  Steering column.  Again the chap said they would be making both
(non-collapsible and collapsible), but again said that small
modifications might be required.  This means that they are making
four types of shell (at least).  Quite a variety if they are building
for stock and not special order.

"3.  Cost.  The chap said the price wasn't fixed yet but would be
"about" 3000 UK Sterling complete with wings, doors and tailgate and
in primer.  Plus 17.5% VAT in the UK!

"4.  I asked about availability.  At the beginning of our
conversation I said my enquiry had been occasioned by the launch of
the new shell, and he said "Oh no, it hasn't been launched yet, it
won't be available until some time next year".  Again I refer counsel
for the defence to the quote made in the leaflet "... to celebrate
the launch ..."

If I find out anything else clearer or different I'll pass it on.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)