Re: Broken boot lock/been there

To: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Subject: Re: Broken boot lock/been there
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@ic.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 08:55:53 -0500
Wayne Kube wrote:

> At 07:24 AM 12/8/96 -0800, you wrote:
> >I had to drill a small hold about 1/2" below edge of lock mechanism
> >right under curve of pull handle and stick small screw driver through
> >to release catch. Hated doing it but sometimes you just gotta do, what
> >you just gotta do.
> >Safety Fast, David Deutsch

> Seems kinda drastic - any chance that your car - like so many 'Bs - has
> speakers mounted in the rear bulkhead?  I would rather remove a speaker -
> even if it meant destroying it - than to drill a hole in the boot lid.

This raises an issue that I think is worth discussing.  My "B" suffered
the indignity of having 6 x 9 speaker cutouts made in the rear bulkhead.
Anyone out their thinking about this should be discouraged from doing
so.  The rear bulkhead is an inegral part of the body shells strength.
The panel is stamped "stiffening ribs" in an X pattern across the
bulkhead.  Cutting these holes results in a large reduction in the
stiffness of the panel, and corresponding overall body stiffness.  These
cars are flexible enough - they don't need help!  Besides, it's tough to
hear those Jensen Triaxials through a folded top!

Regards,

Chris Delling