Re: Help! I broke my MG!

To: Matthew D Yarnell <my23+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Help! I broke my MG!
From: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 04:45:33 -0800 (PST)

This exact same thing happened to me on a similarly cold day when I was
in high school in Missouri -- in fact, the car was even a '76 B!  I'm
sorry to be the bearer of ill tidings, but in my case the engine had
broken a rod -- same cylinder as yours, in fact.  If the piston is no
longer firing or moving, the spark plug could indeed be awash with oil.

Assuming that this is the problem, your engine is possibly rebuildable,
depending on the amount of damage the busted rod did inside -- no telling
till you take it apart.

How many miles on your car?  Engine ever been rebuilt?  My '76 had not
quite 80K on the original engine when it happened to me.  This was in
1988, and my solution was to grab a great '65 B motor for $250 and swap
'em out...

For your sake, I hope your problem is different than mine!

-- Marc ('63 B, 222,897)