RE: Help! I broke my MG!

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Help! I broke my MG!
From: Nick Pitt <nick.pitt@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 96 15:37:00 PST
Matt
     Hard to be sure from this, but here's some ideas. The fact that the
plug was oily after driving home without that cylinder firing is no real
suprise.
     1.) Is there a spark getting to that cylinder? Check by removing the
plug and taping it next to, but not touching the block. Turn the engine and
see if a spark jumps from the end of the plug to the engine. (Alternately
use an inductive timing light if you have one, if you don't then don't
worry)
     2.) Can you test the engine's compression? If it 's noticeably lower in
that cylinder than the in the others then it may be either the head gasket
or piston rings. (Do you use a lot of oil?)
     Hope this gives you a starting point.

          Nick ('73 B (resting) I broke mine too, lots of times, but they
always get better eventually with enough TLC)