Re: Monroe Shocks

To: BOB NOGUEIRA <NKED65A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Monroe Shocks
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 17:53:33 -0600 (CST)
Shocks are rated by a damping factor.  They work by trying to push some
fluid through an opening (so in adjustable dampers, you choose between
different oriface sizes...the larger the hole,the less resistance to
flow).

This damping factor is expressed in units of lb*sec/ft.

Carrera is the only company I have seen literature from as far as being
able to select different damping factors.  Even their catalog must be read
a little more throughly to find a number usable in an equation defining a
suspension system.  They give a lb force number for different shocks, but
reading between the lines, you can find that the number is based on a
certain velocity.

Other ways to change the damping from shocks is to change shock oil, with
a heavier, less viscous fluid having more resistance through the same dia
hole.  Another way is to change the angle at which the shock is attached.
If you have noticed the Moss (I think) kit has two different locations
that the shock can be bolted.  In doing this, you change the distance the
shock travels for the same wheel travel....lowering the velocity of the
fluid, hence less damping.

Eric

Eric L. Van Iderstine   -   elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu   -   vi@netdoor.com
Machine Development Engineer