Re: MGB Battery

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Battery
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:25:56 -0600
Michael.Lytton@sierra.com wrote:

>      Hello again;
>
>      I have a group 26 12v battery in my 1970 MGB that my DPO put into the
>      car.  Unfortunately, she had somebody hacksaw the edge of one of the
>      battery bins and bend the flap up in order to fit the battery in.
>
>      Obviously, it would be nice to fix this heinous hack.  Here's where my
>      question comes in:  I've heard that a group 26 battery is supposed to
>      fit in the stock bin without modification.  Do the group 26's really
>      fit the early style of MGB battery bins?  Is there an even smaller
>      battery that would fit?

The Group 26 battery fits just fine.

Unless your a stickler for originality and want the original framework,
the hot setup is to pick up a pair of the pvc battery bins (MOSS/VB/TRF)
and drop those in the battery openings. The bin doesn't require the
original framework as the bin is supported by the lip. The battery is
then protected from the elements and your sheetmetal protected from the
battery. Some minor cutting is required (holes for cables/ battery
clamps).

Be sure to mount the battery on the passenger side (LHD), not as my DPO
did. The battery was mounted on the drivers side and the original
cross-over cable and the starter wire were electrical taped together,
just hanging in the breeze :(  You will have to move the ground clamp
from the drivers side to the passenger side.

                        - Jeff

'70 MGB