TC bonnet stays- wasRe: I thought they'd NEVER leave! ;-)

To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Subject: TC bonnet stays- wasRe: I thought they'd NEVER leave! ;-)
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 19:20:27 -0800
At 01:27 PM 12/11/96 -0800, you wrote:

>  Question: "T" owners - I was working on my dad's TC last weekend,
>trying to find out why it didn't start.  I was spending my time on the
>carburettors and the fuel pump.  It was a REAL PAIN having to open & close
>each side of the hood (bonnet) each time I switched sides.  What do you
>do to have access to both sides?  Not remove the hood completely!?

Over the past several years there has been many articles on this issue - it
is a pain to constantly lift the left, then the right, etc. What I do is
make up a little angle bracket about 1 x 2 which fits under the fifth
bulkhead-to-body mounting bolt. Then I use a 1/4 in rod of suitable length
threaded at the lower end to take a stop nut. At the top of the rod I mount
a rubber ball about 3/4 in D. The lower end fits in a hole in the bracket
and the ball end fits into the spring loop of the hood latch mechanism.
This will produce the "gull wing" look at shows and is very handy for
getting at the full engine compartment as needed. Hope this is useful.

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook CA
33 J2MG
48 MGTC