leaks and air flow/13

To: Geoff Love <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Subject: leaks and air flow/13
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 11:40:35 -0800
Geoff Love wrote:

> Of course, we both overlooked another possible source of oil dripping
> from then bell housing, namely the oil seal at the front end of the
> gearbox.

True, but I asked myself: how many 3" puddles can you get from 1 1/2
pints of gear lube?

> Now, please for my info, if for no one else's, which way up DOES the
> oval vent plate go?

Most have the word "TOP" on them, but if it doesn't, think of it this
way:

Consider the direction the clutch rotates inside the bell, if the slot
faces "downstream" so that the air is thrown out of it, you have the
equivalent of a centrifugal supercharger and create a vacuum inside the
housing. If it faces "upstream" the air rushing by inside creates a
slight venturi vacuum and draws air in - slightly pressurizing the
bell-housing and helping to keep the oil in. Opening the slot a little
with a screwdiver can help the effect. Another point occurs to me: when
you have a grossly worn engine or one with broken top rings from excess
revs, the blow-by can be so great it can't all escape via the breathers
and some goes out through the Archimedes, inevitably carrying an oil
mist with it. The latter applies to ALL MG engines. I've had MGB and
Volvo B-20 engines leaking like a sieve from both crank ends even though
they had full oil seals, and stopped the leaks by merely replacing the
pistons! Now, everyone, a question - careful! this is a trick! Which way
does the air flow through the little 90 degree hose from the valve cover
to the air cleaner on a T type? (and when?)
Jarl