MGB LE

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB LE
From: drake@direct.ca (len drake)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 16:02:26 -0800
Hi - I recently purchased a 1979 MGB LE #GHN5UL492209G from
the original owner.  The car was originally sold in Canada
although it spent almost all of its life in southern Calif.

My question is this - all of the LE's sold in Canada had the
usual LE Badge on the glovebox door and in the bottom right
hand corner of the badge is engraved the number of the run
of 250 cars - i.e. my car has #51 of 250 engraved on the
badge.  All of the US LE's I have seen have the same badge,
but without the #'s.  What is the situation in other countries?
Did the Australians get LE's too, and did their cars have #'s?
Did British Leyland really resort to American style marketing
and produce a LIMTITED EDITION that was only limited to the
number of cars they could sell?  What happened in Europe and
other areas where MG's were sold?

Also, what differentiated an LE from a regular production MGB?
I am aware of the front spoiler, steering wheel, glove box
door badge, black paint, silver stripes, mag wheels, tan
interior, and overdrive. Am I correct on this, or is there
more or less?

Also, I thought that all LE's were 1979's - was there really
1979 and 1980's?

Cheers,

Len Drake

1952 TD