B-series timing covers & oil throwers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: B-series timing covers & oil throwers
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 08:50:45 -0500
It is commonly stated that:

a.)  The MGA-MkII and early MGB timing covers are the same part number.
b.)  The MGA-MkII and early MGB timing seals are the same part number.
c.)  When using the MGB cover on the MGA 1500 or 1600 you must use the MGB
oil thrower.

It must be right, because I've been using an early MGB timing cover and seal
on my MGA 1500 for years.  I've also had trouble with the fit of the original
oil thrower from the MGA when trying to use it with the MGB timing cover.
 The edge of the oil thrower ring rubs on the inside of the timing cover
where the seal arrangement is thicker, and if left to run that way will
eventually wear a groove completely through the cover.  My expedient solution
to the problem the first time around was to grind the edge off of the oil
thrower ring so it wouldn't touch the cover.

Now I would like to re-do these parts, but while looking in the Moss catalogs
for the MGAs and MGBs I notice that they call out the same part number for
the oil thrower ring (433-815) on all models.  So, if Moss only has one of
the parts, which catalog is wrong, and which part do they stock?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA 1500